Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Paint and Spackle time....


Ya know, the reason I named my blog Paint and Spackle is because that's where I do a lot of my thinking. It's usually quiet and thoughts just tumble around my grape whenever I do mundane things. My makeup routine hasn't changed in a looooong time so my grape is usually on auto pilot. Or.....sitting on the throne. Ha, now there's a gross mental picture for ya. ( you're welcome)I actually thought of naming it 'Thoughts from the Throne' but decided that's a wee bit TMI. :)

( An interesting side note: I usually forget whatever it was I was thinking about once I leave the Paint and Spackle room..........Geesh....what was I talking about???.....................)

Anyway, yesterday I was thinking about the book The Greatest Generation. Mainly because my folks are from that era. I've read alot of the book and the stories about individual people are really quite interesting. Then, I started thinking about my Dad. I've asked him several questions about his war time and unfortunately or perhaps not.......he remembers very little of it. Fact, he remembers very little of his life before my Mom and he were married. I did find out that his Dad played a 'horn'. He's not sure which one, possibly a tuba or another one that I can't think of the name( it's not quite as big) but it's something I never knew before a week ago. Another thing which I find interesting is, in Decatur,Alabama ,where he was raised, there's a street with his last name on it. He doesn't know why. He doesn't remember much about any of his family....except he Mom spent all his Army money he sent home to save ( for college) on herself. She was quite the self absorbed woman from what I gather. I only met her once which was quite enough. His Dad was a cabinet maker ( so was Lovee's Dad...interesting yes?) but by the time Sisterlittle and I met him he was blind. An accident took one eye and the other was...who knows.........probably what's taking Dad's sight now.
What made me start thinking about all of this is his recent diagnosis of Dementia. So far it's only his short term that's affected, but one day it will be everything. I'm thinking I need to do some research and see if I can find out some stuff. He says our last name is German. My Aunt found out his family came from Prussia. Uh.....not sure what it's called now....more research I guess.

Speaking of the Dad, the shingles are out of his eye now! YAY!! Although his head is full of dark ugly scabs that really bother him and depending on the time of day either itch or hurt. I got some creme to put on them last night before I left. Sad.....he asked me several times how to wash his head when he was going to take a shower. He finally got it. Poor Daddy...:(

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for the opportunity I've been given to care for the parental units. It's by far, the hardest job I've ever had in my life, mentally. But I'd not trade a second of it. [ Most days anyway...;) ]No regrets...........that's my new motto.........no regrets.


No comments: