Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Loving that I can still learn......

For those of you who didn't know, as I didn't, the Rev. Lowery began his benediction at President Obama's Inauguration with the last verse of the Negro National Anthem, specifically:

"God of our weary years, God of our silent tears, thou, who has brought us thus far along the way, thou, who has by thy might led us into the light, keep us forever in the path we pray, lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee, lest our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee.
Shadowed beneath thy hand, may we forever stand true to thee, oh God, and true to our native land."


I'd never heard of a Negro National Anthem before. It doesn't surprise me that I wasn't taught this. When I went to school here in Oklahoma in the 60's and 70's, our schools were segregated. It was only when I was a junior in High School that 'blacks' voluntarily were bussed to my school.
I made friends with many of them. Not because of their color but because I was just a people person. And I must admit a certain curiosity as I hadn't known any blacks personally. The closest I came was the maid we had for a while and the fact that my brothers best friend in Viet Nam was black. That was the extent of my knowledge. Sad actually.
I could never see any difference except skin color and the part of town 'they' lived in wasn't as nice as mine. Even sadder.
I remember admiring their 'tan'....often wishing I was as beautifully colored. My Irish/German ancestery kept me rather pale.

One of my blobbie friends pointed this fact...the anthem...out to me. I just never knew.
It's beautiful. Simple and beautiful. And I love it. I'm glad it has been around to inspire the masses and I'm glad I've been enlightened to this fact.
Silly me, I just thought it was a lovely prayer.

I hope I never stop learning.
It makes my soul shine with happiness.

5 comments:

Gin said...

I love learning new things too. I love that prayer too...isn't it touching!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I had googled it too, after reading an earlier comment here, and the entire hymn is very beautiful.

Sunshine said...

Right on Ma!! :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

in other news, did you say it is 6 degrees in OK?????

Brad said...

Even at my youthful age (ahem) I remember the first black family moving into our neighborhood and the talk that it started. Luckily I was blessed with a mother who knew to stay out of that kind of talk and teach her kids to love everyone. It seems like a different world from where we are now.