Monday, April 16, 2007

Pow Wow

Ever been to one ? Me neither untill Saturday. How fun was that.
There were like 27 tribes represented. Each tribe has a different style of garments...feathers...beads...bells....and it has to be as authentic as possible in keeping w/ the particular tribes history. At one point in the program, Lovee's friend's youngest daughter was allowed to ask a man to dance ( indian style :) ) so she asked Lovee!! I honestly haven't seen him squirm so much since ...well it was a long time ago when I wanted him to "fast" dance w/ me!! ( that's another story) Anyway, by tradition, if the girl is turned down she has to be paid. That's when Lovee got excited, opened up his wallet and said " how much?" LOL . I was totally jealous by the time we left....jealous that i wasn't an Indian. If I were, I'd want to be one that gets to wear the buckskin and beads with lots of fringe! :) The oldest daughter of a guy Lovee know, was being crowned Princess of this PowWow. Huge ceremony with dancing and food and steeped in tradition. I LOVED the "fancy danding"...feathers everywhere stomping and twirling around. My ancestors were 'boat' ppl. Just not as exciting or as eventful as Indians. If you get the chance, I urge everyone to go to at least one. Wonderful!

2 comments:

Tweb said...

A real pow wow? No way! That's pretty darn cool. I thought you were talking about a powwow with your friends... which doesn't really make sense, and of course, there's the lack of feathers... unless you have friends like "those" that like feathers...not that there's anything wrong with it... I just don't have those kinds of friends...

but I would like to go to a pow wow. That might be tough to find here in Chicago though...

tt said...

Nope..they're EVERYWHERE!!
Seriously!