Friday, May 18, 2007

WTF is mucus anyway

and where does it come from? Geez-o-pete!!! I'm drowning in it. And why does it only exit through the nose? I mean, I know it goes other places...not going to get all medical here, but why does the HEAD store it all? And the lungs? How gross!! :( I'm still sick.( DUH!) Had to break down and go to the Dr. this morning. Since I'm in between insurances at the present I had to use the Redi-Clinic at the Wal~Mart. Neat concept. Saw a Nurse Practitioner...great gal....I managed to get an acute sinus infection coupled with a bit of inflamation in the lungs. ( More mucus!!) My peak flow meter for my asthma only got to 250. It should be in the 350 to 400 range. Red flag there. So, $59.00 for the consult and $160.00 for meds and I'll be fine in a few days. Insurance is a really good thing. June 1st I'll be insured again. Thank god!
Funny thing is on the diagnosis she put down the sinus infec/lung inflam/ and here is the interesting thing...."Caregiver role strain". Hummmm...she asked what work I was in so I said I care for my parents and can't afford to be ill because then nobody would be there. I didn't know I was strained. Interesting.
Gotta go blow the mucus from this red swollen orafice thing called a nose!

2 comments:

Allison Horner said...

Mucus is a slippery secretion of the lining of various membranes in the body (mucous membranes). It is a viscous colloid containing antiseptic enzymes (such as lysozyme) and immunoglobulins. Mucus is produced by goblet cells in the mucous membranes that cover the surfaces of the membranes. It is made up of mucins and inorganic salts suspended in water. Phlegm is a type of mucus that is restricted to the respiratory tract, while the term mucus refers to secretions of the nasal passages as well. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucus

Also, I saw Dr. Oz, the famous doctor that goes on Oprah recommend a Neti pot for ppl that suffer from sinus problems: http://www.amazon.com/Neti-Pot-Himalayan-Institute-Lead-Free/dp/B00027Z41G

tt said...

I'll check on that, Thanks!
It's almost gone thank gawd!!
Achoo!!