Thursday, February 21, 2008

weather+Ice+driving = worried Dad

Yesterday the all knowing weather ppl told us we were in for another ice storm. Grreat! Well, that made my Dad anxious. He was giving me instructions for being safe on the hi-way and telling me to watch out for those 'other' ppl out there. I could tell he was wanting me to just stay there. Spend the night. Again. Well, I just couldn't do it. I did my best to reassure him and tried to calm his fears. I said if it was real bad I'd wait and drive down later....yada,yada,yada....
I told him I was optomistic about the weather and talked upbeat about everything being ok.
Then this morning I watched the weather and much to my surprise, the roads are fairly good this morning. Yay! I could feel some of my previous days guilt fall away. Thank goodness.
I know one of my objectives concerning the parentals is to keep them comfortable and relieve them of as much worry as I can. But, it's sooooo HARD for me to stay there IF I don't have to. Even if it gives my wee Dad something else to worry about I just can't do it all the time. Ugh....
Talk about role reversal....just like when the kids were young and were always wanting something.....It's just not going to happen all the time.
Bad daughter........
I know, I'm not a bad daughter, but still.........................
Will it ever get easier? Ummm, I don't think so.

2 comments:

R.E.H. said...

Of course, it never gets easier, but one has their OWN life to live too.

We will do whatever we can to help out parents, but we can't help them right if we don't take care of our own needs and happiness in the first place, right?

tt said...

reh: i know you're right and I hear what you're saying...But it's harder some days ya know? I keep telling myself I can tend to 'me and mine'in a few years...you know... after they...you know...
I know I need to change my thinking. It's just going to take me a bit. I think. Not sure why, but that's a whole other post.
thanks you're the bestest!...dose of my own medicine here? Maybe?